Thursday, April 20, 2006

Last Two Weeks of Freedom

Before I go off, you should really check out this video profile of Keith Olbermann's smack down of Fox News -

http://www.salon.com/ent/video_dog/media/2006/01/31/olbermann/index.html

Love Salon.com ...

Also, check out the new cover of Rolling Stone, where the main story argues if Bush is our worst president...EVER.

Two weeks before I inherit a weimaraner. I've done a few things to prepare - like get an oil change (since I'm pretty sure I will need to run home for lunch to let the dog out), use up my remaining funds for last-minute CDs before my cash goes to vets and food (James Brown - Live at the Apollo II, GZA's Liquid Swords).

I have to admit, I'm having a few reservations. Especially this week, when I spotted a lost irish setter on my way to work. She was darting around in a large field, digging up whatever she could. After I called the owner, I played with her a bit and watched her dig up some more stuff and all I could think of was "THIS is what I'm getting in to."

I GOOGLED 'weimaraners' and 'apartments' - and most of the stuff that came up said stuff like "weimaraners are NOT apartment dogs." First off...I know what I'm getting myself into (sort of). I know weimaraners require constant care, exercise and obediance training.

I know this is a bit of a stretch, but I sort of parallel my situation with gay marriage. Yes, it's ideal to raise a kid with a woman and a man. It's also ideal to raise a kid in a home, with a stay-at-home parent and a breadwinner that brings in say...about 120 grand, ensuring a college fund. But as you all know, the majority of kids make it without these necessities. Kids thrive while living in apartment flats being raised by a single parent. Kids thrive living with gay parents. Kids thrive in households that take home practially nothing in wages.

My apartment is about to get a lot smaller. I'm hoping that I can compensate for lack of a large back yard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home