Monday, April 10, 2006

An open letter to Omaha

So - I signed a lease. I'm sticking with this job since I've only been there for about two months. I'm getting a puppy, which will definitely be a life-altering choice. So... here's my open letter to the city I will be inhabiting for the next 365 days:

Dear Omaha:

I don't like you. And I'm pretty sure you don't like me. I wanted a job as a reporter in Oregon, but I am almost certain that at the age of 31 - I'm sick of the poverty thing. I want to write, but right now, I'm strapped. I'm tapped. The new job is pretty much taking all the creativity out of me.

I need experiences to thrive. And a puppy will definitely be an experience-producer. And so, Omaha - I will try my damnest to seek out other stuff to get my writing game back on. I know you have writing groups. I know there are poetry slams (nationals even). Sokol brings in cool acts (see Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Neko Case, Ghostface Killah).

Tucson or Albuquerque will have to wait. I have a puppy to raise. There are tons of worse places to live than Omaha. It wasn't an easy choice. But in the words of Courtney Love - "I'll made my bed, I'll lie in it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home