Friday, July 14, 2006

Taking the long way around

I put in an inquiry to my apartment leasing office today. I've been here since May - and it's a nice place. But I requested if the apartment complex (right now, I think it's 100 percent capacity) is full, if possible, I would like to make my apartment available if someone wants to sign a one-year lease and there are no complexes available.

I watched a great documentary on the now-disbanded New York band Luna. "Tell Me Do You Miss Me" follows the band throughout their final months. One of the band mates, I think Britta Phillips, said Dean Wareham (the lead singer/songwriter) has a personality trait where at times, he can be funny and actively engaging in social circles, but his introvertedness causes him to retreat and not be seen for weeks. One of my friends chuckled "it sounds like someone in this room."

I'm pretty sure I know why I'm in retreat mode. The general dissatisfaction with this job, combined with having to surrender a dog and yes, regret for not chasing after this newspaper job at a small town with crap pay - has done a number on me that I can't recover from this city. So when I get out of my lease, job or not, I'm moving. Most likely to Albuquerque, but maybe Olympia. If I wait for the "right" job, I could be here for two more years. And when you're in your early 30s and you primarily are chasing a writing career, time gets to be a critical factor when you're at this age.

I'm not a big fan of the Dixie Chicks' music (though I bought their latest album primarily as a show of solidarity for the shite they went through during the buildup to the war in Iraq), but I saw a performance on Bill Maher's Amazon.com show and the lyrics, albeit a bit sappy, I could definitely identify with at this time of my life....

My friends from high school Married their high school boyfriends
Moved into houses in the same ZIP codes Where their parents live
But I, I could never follow No I, I could never follow
I hit the highway in a pink RV with stars on the ceiling Lived like a gypsy
Six strong hands on the steering wheel
I've been a long time gone now Maybe someday, someday I'm gonna settle down
But I've always found my way somehow By taking the long way Taking the long way around
Taking the long way Taking the long way around
I met the queen of whatever Drank with the Irish and smoked with the hippies
Moved with the shakers Wouldn't kiss all the asses that they told me to
No I, I could never follow No I, I could never follow
It's been two long years now Since the top of the world came crashing down
And I'm getting' it back on the road now But I'm taking the long way Taking the long way around
I'm taking the long way Taking the long way around The long The long way around
Well, I fought with a stranger and I met myself I opened my mouth and I heard myself
It can get pretty lonely when you show yourself Guess I could have made it easier on myself
But I, I could never follow No I, I could never follow
Well, I never seem to do it like anybody else Maybe someday, someday I'm gonna settle down
If you ever want to find me I can still be found Taking the long way Taking the long way around
Taking the long way Taking the long way around

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home