Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Another June has gone by...

"Today's the Fourth of July / another June has gone by / and when they light up our town I just think what a waste of gunpowder and sky." - Aimee Mann

Since hearing this song, I've played it every July 4. The biggest impact came in 2002 when I just graduated from college, I was working at a newspaper for an internship and I was about 1400 miles away from anyone I knew. I was working on the 4th and the loneliness of that song just hit. It may have been the fact that I was one of the people who was working on a holiday and I was picturing what everyone else was doing at that exact moment: watching their kids light off fireworks in their driveway on a steady beer buzz. It could have also been the fact that I was frightened with each week speeding closer to unemployment with no interviews in sight. Whatever the reason, that song now is forever associated with July 4.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home