Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Damaged

Still waiting for BloggerBeta to resolve this issue. But if you're a fan of 'House' - this has to be one of my favorite moments in the series, when he tells Cameron the reason he thinks Cameron is interested in him. I laughed, but I winced as well - as I do when a scene like this comes along that reminds me a bit too much of my flaws...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_DLeBonO-E

This election, I can't help but thinking of the Civil Rights movement in the '60s. I know folks like Alan Keys would love this - but I always look to how the Civil Rights movement caused so much advancements in human rights in the '60s and contrast it with the gay rights movement of today. I can't help but thinking of people who may have been anti-segregation, but who had more immediate issues at heart in the '60s - such as the Vietnam War. So...what happens when you come up with an issue that's so important to you that you would be willing to vote for a person who has on record basically said you were second class citizens? I don't believe Chuck Hagel or Ben Nelson would actively rally to ban gay marriage or a total ban on abortions. They would both most likely say that there are far more pressing issues to address. But does that justify a vote in the 'for' column?

I don't know, to be honest. I'm at a crossroads. In my opinion, Chuck Hagel is one of the most knowledgeable and qualified senators to lend his opinion about the Iraq war. He has repeatedly taken a metaphoric 2x4 to the Bush administration and has been lambasted by the Right because of it. Hagel has said that gay marriage is an issue that's for the states. But still, that would be like saying in the 60s or 70s that interracial marriage should be a state issue.

But - personally - I'm single. I plan to be that way at least for awhile, so personally, the marriage issue hasn't really hit me yet. And personally, gay marriage is about sixth on my list of priorities, which are...
1. Iraq/Afghanistan (yeah, that 'other' war)
2. Raising the minimum wage (you would think a lot of these megachurches would be mad at Republicans for keeping the minimum wage the same - thus increasing the risk for millions of families to fall below the poverty line and forcing these types of churches to do more with less to help these families that are below the poverty line)
3. North Korea (but moving up to number two fairly quickly)
4. Education - how the hell can we compete with countries that have far better education systems than ours, but their workers are happily working for a sixth of our salaries?
5. The war on terror (so, when will we ever read that headline 'TERROR DEFEATED'?)
6. Gay marriage

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home