Wednesday, December 27, 2006

My Boys

Hope everyone had a good holiday. I spent last night writing up a eulogy to James Brown. I can imagine what rock would have been like without Elvis or even Bob Dylan, but I could never imagine what rock would have been like without James Brown.

While I was writing, I had TBS's series My Boys playing in the background. I'm not a big fan of voice-over narration and the narration for this show is a definite momentum killer. Still, I laughed out loud at a conversation the characters had about the "What are you doing this weekend?" question.

The characters lamented that the "What are you doing this weekend?" question is a loaded question because if you respond "nothing" - you inevitably back yourself into whatever the person who asked you the question wants you to do - from helping them move to seeing a movie you may not want to see or go to a party you may not want to go to. But, at the same time, you really can't take that question out of discourse.

I guess the topic, for me, came up in regards to New Years Eve. I make it a policy not to make plans until about 4 p.m. that evening. The result will either be a laid back meeting at home or an impromptu gathering - which is usually more fun than a structured "days in the making" party. My sister already asked me the "what are you doing New Years Eve" question and I mistakenly said "I'm not too sure yet." As a result, I now am dogsitting two hyperactive dogs - putting a nice six-hour window to any of my plans.

I've seen the desperation of some people as this prom-like holiday approaches. "I have to find a date before New Year's - otherwise I'm going to have to spend it alone." That puts a ton of pressure on both the person and the 'date to be' to not make New Year's Eve a bust.

God, I hate New Year's Eve...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home